Translate

Tuesday 5 August 2014

BREAKFAST AND A GRAND PROCESSION


There is a fair selection of places to eat and drink on the maes. If you are minted then it must be cafe pl@iad. If you are half minted then it will be the vast array of trailers selling everything from cockles to crepes. If you are like me and penniless then it will be the cafe just opposite the Graig school. Don't get me wrong, there isn't much difference between all three except for some plush surroundings and swanky looking folks in one and the n'er do wells in the other. So it was that I chose the plush surroundings and swanky company of Steff's Cafe opposite the Graig. A breakfast costs £4.25 and I have to say it was the nicest breakfast I have had in years. Beautiful bacon, sausages, mushrooms, egg, beans and toast and not a drop of grease on the plate. Lovely comfy wicker chairs and cafe tables outside or comfortable chairs and wooden tables inside. Service was quick and friendly and I even spotted the hoi poloi from the BBC there. I will give it Seren Pump! I hobbled my way back to the maes and had a 5 minute nap on a bench just to allow the lovely food to do its work. Behold I heard trumpets playing and for a second I thought I had bought it. As I felt my limbs, opened my eyes and saw the familiar surroundings of families enjoying the sunshine, I realised that I was still Earth bound and that the trumpeting was coming from the pink tent or Y Pafiliwn. I hot footed it to a ringside seat for the beginning of the crowning ceremony. Not having been to one before apart from distant relatives in Windsor I duly knelt on the floor in front of the Welsh hoi poloi and waited. Out of the throngs came men and women dressed in robes of all colours bedecked in gold with fairy like girls walking behind them. More trumpeting and more people climbing the silver steps onto the stage. Then like the blitz, spot lights fanning the audience as if to find a single individual. The audience broke into a slow clap as the robed people walked around the seating area looking for someone until a loud cheer revealed that he had been found. It was Gutto Dafydd, one of the youngest winners of the Eistedfod crown. Gutto was led down the steps and onto the stage where proclamations were made. Dancing flower girls circled and flew around the stage in front of two enormous wooden chairs seating Gutto and the Arch Druid Christine James. The crown was brought forward and placed on Gutto's head. More clapping and the robed masses left the stage to exit onto the maes. Meanwhile I managed to get off the floor, unclamp my knees and chase after the throngs to get some unique portraits of these mysterious people in white blue and green.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan, glad you made it up off the floor. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see that someone is presenting - for the world wide web viewers to see the culture that in is Wales. Da iawn, mun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks, it is my pleasure. I LOVE MY CULTURE

    ReplyDelete